Make a your own coat - Intermediate plus
Course duration: 9 hours total
Course price: £128
What will I make: a coat
Course materials: £34 (optional)
This 9 hour coat making course is designed for those who are ready to move to truly tailored garments. This is fantastic sewing course is suitable for those who have intermediate sewing skills and have ideally completed our Sew Advanced or Blouse making course.
This sewing course is usually made up of 3 x 3 hour sessions run over 3 consecutive weeks, but we also schedule crash courses. You can check our schedule by clicking the book button.
What will I learn?
During this coat making course you will learn to use a commercial pattern. You will learn to adjust your pattern to fit your body measurements. You will learn to construct a belt, darts, sleeves and collars. By the last session you will walk away with a new, fabulous, ready to wear coat. Areas we will cover in the this sewing course include:
- - Set up a sewing machine
- - Take measurements
- - Reading/laying/cutting out of pattern and fabrics
- - Construct darts and belt
- - Adding pockets and garment facing
- - Constructing a collar and learning how to attach it
- - Gathering and attaching raglan sleeves
- - Learning how to sew buttons using your sewing machine
- - Simple decorative stitching with machine
What do I need to bring?
If you want to use your own fabric for this sewing course you will need to bring along the following:
- Coat fabric - size 10-24
- - Either 4.0m (400cm) of 115cm wide suitable fabric
- - Or 3.5m (350cm) of 140cm wide suitable fabric
- - Suitable fabrics are lightweight wool, cashmere, poplin, boucle, denim or other suitable fabric
- Buy fabric for this sewing course for £34 when booking.
Just to sew things up...
All machines and equipment are provided, although if you would like to bring your own sewing machine to learn on, you are welcome to do so. You can buy all materials needed for this course for £34 (available when booking the course). Refreshments and biscuits are included and a glass of wine for all evening classes to help create a seamless atmosphere..
A few important T&Cs
Please take a moment to read the not so fun BUT nevertheless important terms and conditions regarding the sewing classes we run.
Looking for a different kind of gift idea? Learning to sew could make the perfect present. Check out our gift vouchers which can be used for any class or course.
Terms & Conditions
If you're looking for our T&C's then this is the place to look. Find all our terms and conditions about the sewing classes we run.
Work for us
Do you love sewing and crafting? Are you interested in working for us or looking for work experience? Send us your CV or a covering letter. We'd love to hear from you.